Last year we used a calculation method, based on evapotranspiration data from our local weather station, to estimate the weekly water requirement per vine. However, that method did not address the differences we observed in vine development per location.
We came up with a new approach to keeping track of our irrigation this vintage. We installed gypsum soil moisture sensors at the trouble spots, and also installed sensors at a "good" spot, sensor location 1, as a reference.
We started weekly measurements in May, and now in July, see clear indications that the soil moisture is decreasing, so we need to step up the irrigation. Meanwhile, having better visibility on irrigation water quantity needed, the vineyard looks much better than same time last year.
For an overview of all Vinduino project related postings click here